Sunday, July 24, 2011

I see white people!

People here are so white! They all kind of look the same. And everybody's speaking English! and I have to pause a moment before saying "thank you" so I don't say "xie xie" instead. Oh, reverse culture shock, how fun are you!

I arrive in LA last night, after a long bumpy flight (with really good airplane food, I might add!), during which I managed to get about an hour of fitful sleep, so by the time I landed I was so wiped out. I stumbled through customs and sat down and thunk for a few minutes. I hadn't booked a hotel beforehand because I figured I would bum it in the airport. But I had not anticipated feeling quite so tired and droopy, and the only thing I wanted in the world was a bed to sleep in. So I sighed a great sigh, called a few hotels in the area, and took the cheapest room I could find.
Turned out to be so way worth it! I slept soooooooooooooooooooooooooo well last night (morning for me), woke up feeling great, took a shower, ate a muffin, turned on the Tv to the easy listening channel, drank my coffee, wrote in my journal, read my Bible, and now I'm bloggering while listening to classical music. I can't tell you how glad I am to relax by myself before I dive into the second half of my travel adventure to Florida to meet my family.
AND to beat all that, I think a Chinese family or couple is also staying at this hotel, because I heard people speaking Chinese outside my room this morning. It was like a little piece of home. :D
After I check out, I'll head to the airport to explore for a few hours before my flight leaves this evening to Seattle. In Seattle, I'll meet with some great friends, crash at their house, then fly into Orlando to meet my parents on Monday night.
Entering the immigration line after landing LA, I was asked by some airport official if I was a US citizen or visitor. I seriously almost went into the visitor's line before I realized that I hold a US passport and that makes me a citizen. At the immigration counter, after looking at my passport, the guy asked me where I was born, and I told him, and he proceeded to ask all the usual questions I get about Suriname. Then he asked where I came from and I told him Taiwan. Then he asked all about why I was in the US. He had already stamped my stuff, so it wasn't like he was asking for security issues. He was just interested. It then occured to me that I am kind of complicated. *sigh*
In any case, I suppose I won't have time to blog again until I'm with my family, so I hope I can post some photos by then. Thanks so much, everybody, for your support and prayers! I'm so excited to finally be on my way! :D My heart is full of smiles.
Zai jian!

No comments:

Post a Comment