Sunday, December 11, 2011

Real Birth Days

Baby, it's cold outside! And speaking of babies, I got to see a brand new one this morning. Brand new, like minutes old. So congratulations again to my friends Mandy and Jacob Moore, and their new little guy, Abraham. (sounds so old and wise, right?)
That's a Real Birth Day.
Today is also my birthday. Not as real, not as special. The older I get, the less great birthdays are. Over the last couple of years, they've actually been kind of sad days. I'm not sure why. And today, while it should be great because there's a new baby around and stuff, I'm sitting here at home alone for the afternoon, kind of have plans to go out for ice cream later tonight with friends, just like we always do, feeling kind of like I want it to be a special day but it's just not. I'm grateful for the birthday wishes from my friends who know it's my birthday, but I kind of wish it was over. I just want to not be in this weird state of "it's supposed to be a special day, I guess? I don't feel special? I should be excited? Why am I not?"
What are you supposed to feel like on your birthday? When I was a kid, I always got really excited because the people in my life made a big deal about it being my birthday. I think I found out pretty quickly that after you leave home, your birthday isn't such a big deal anymore. Really, it's only parents who think your birthday is a big deal. So slowly it set in, that birthdays aren't that exciting after all.
Only the Real Ones. Like the Being Born Day Ones. Those really are special. All sadness aside, I'm proud to share a birthday with my little newborn friend, Abe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon! I have really enjoyed reading your blog just now! We should keep in touch! Please write if you have a minute. What is your email address? Mine is ak.karis29@gmail.com. Love Karis :)

    ReplyDelete