Friday, August 28, 2009

Adventures with Doom - Death to Cockroaches!

So, I recall a much earlier post on this blog, before I even left for Taiwan, about how I read that there were so many cockroaches on the island. I was pleasantly surprised upon arriving to have not seen any cockroaches until this week they are abounding! I think they are getting up through the drains. It is 2:30 in the morning here and I am still online (on a Friday night so it's ok!) and my roomate Katie Jo just knocked on my door to inform me there was a Large Monster Cockroach in the bathroom and she needed moral support to Kill It. So I left her in charge of keeping an eye on The Monster while I went into the kitchen to get the spray can of Doom from on top of the fridge. Whilst I was journeying toward the kitchen a sudden movement at the end of the hall caught my eye and behold! 'twas another Cockroach! A much smaller one than the Monster in the bathroom though. So I sailed through the air jumping practically to the door of the kitchen from the end of the hall (which, is quite a ways actually) to fetch the can of Doom. As I stepped into the kitchen, a grisly pair of brown antennae caught my eye from under the corner of the fridge and who might they belong to but Bathroom Monster Cockroach's kitchen cousin, Slightly Smaller but still just as Ugly Cockroach. So I waltzed into the living room avoiding small Hallway Cockroach and stood on the sofa whilst I pondered how to obtain the Doom without jeapordizing my feet. It occured to me that Katie Jo was still bravely manning the Bathroom although high pitched sqeaks from her direction made me suddenly realize how close my bedroom door is to the bathroom door (very close) and how Imperitive it was that I fetch the Doom as quickly as possible. So I gathered up my late-night courage and bounded to the Kitchen and made it back with the Doom safely in my possession. Katie Jo courageously squirted Bathroom Monster Cockroach with all her might and it died a horriblely grisly Death in the hallway after doing the Poisoned Cockroach Dance (which is a most dangerous dance, as you never know where they might end up). I squirted Small Hallway Cockroach with all MY might (which late at night with three cockroaches in the house, is a lot of Might, probably more Might than this very small cockroach needed to die) and it died a sad death under a red storage Tub in the dining room and I will sort that out tomorrow. Katie Jo braved the Kitchen to find Ugly Cockroach and she kilt it with the Doom next to the sink and so now we have to re-do all the dishes tomorrow, a task which is well worth it to know there is one less cockroach in the world. And now I am so awake and it's quarter to three in the morning.
So tomorrow I will find drain covers for our bathtub as I think that is where they are coming in.
Ughck. Doom is not good for the human either and uughckk I can smell it. Actually I don't even think they call it Doom here, it's another brand. But I call them all Doom.
Um...so I just re-read this post and it's kind of funny. This is what happens when you are up too late. I'd probably should try to go to sleep but now I will be wondering if there are any in my room.
argghck.
Oh. and I did eat those Strawberry & Peanut butter M&M's. The outer layer is chocolate, then a layer of strawberry and then inside it is p-nut butter filling. It's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with choclate and on a smaller scale. I approve.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I just found your blog. I recently moved to Wuci to teach English in the public junior high school. That's a good story, but one I hope not to live out myself. I think you're right about the drain...I've been finding mosquitoes and wondering how they were getting into my apartment. I watched one fly out of the drain in the tub the other night. It's the big spiders that are going to get me jumping around the room, but I'm no fan of the roach either.

    ReplyDelete