Monday, August 3, 2009

Adventures in HOT

Yeah...I've only taken two pictures total since my last post - one of a bottle of Lychee Wine (just to post for Michael who is a big fan of Lychee Fruits - the wine is really gross but I thought the idea was interesting) and one of a street. But I'm too lazy to go get my memory stick and upload them. Hah!
So time marches on...as it inevitably will. Yesterday, all day, was terribly miserably, awfully HOT. I learned later (like at the very very end of the day) that it had been about 38 degrees C (which I think is around 100 Fahrenheit!!) which is why even the aircon wasn't helping a whole lot. I would step outside and become a large wet Blob of Sweat. It was not cool.
But today it is raining and I got to bike home from Jackson5 in the rain which was admittidly cooler but also not so much fun! The guard at our apartment laughed at me when I pulled in, probably because he doesn't see so often wet dripping nerdly-helmet foreigners.
My first three classes went well, and my Bumblebees are a handful but manageable with the help of my Awesome chinese co-teacher Tina. They ooh-ed and aah-ed over the pictures of my family, King Salmon, mooses, snow, and appropriately went "eeeehhhhhh!!!" when I told them you can fit 26 Taiwans into the entire state of Alaska. We learned today that all insects have three parts and six legs. What's really fun is teaching small Chinese children to say "thorax" and "abdomen". Oh yeah. But teaching, I did learn today, is not going to be a job that when you don't feel good or are distracted by other Things in Life that you can slack off on. I can't just stare into space for five minutes in my small cubicle when I feel sick because I don't have a cubicle! I have 18 active wiggly kids with (hopefully) their small eyeballs glued on ME! You have to invest all your energy and attention and focus on the kids and the lesson when you are in the classroom and so it was very mentally exhausting for me. I suppose it will get better with time. But as for tonight, I'm going to get some food and take an ibuprofin and do it all over again tomorrow!
Tomorrow I also start my evening class with the Koalas, they are older but I'm told their phonics skills are terrible so Phonics focus it is!! whoo hoo.
My blogging is probably going to be fewer and farther between but I'll try real hard to have some pictures next time. =)

1 comment: