Friday, May 14, 2010

Oops

Um, so I just realized it's been well over a month since my last blog post. Sooo sorry...I guess I assume most of the people who read this blog anyway are on my Facebook which is where I post the majority of my photos and keep updates statuses (sort of). But for those of you not on my Facebook, I apologize for my lack of blogging.



Nothing terribly fantastic or exciting has happend since my last post anyway, so you're not missing a whole lot...



Just work, work, work! The school year is over on June 30th and then I have a month of vacation in July. I'm SO excited about that month! Except, I plan to have my wisdom teeth (yep all of them) surgically removed, but that's ok. It's a good excuse to stay in bed and watch Tv. hee hee....



Also in July I plan to help out with the Banner youth camp again like I did last year. I can't believe it's been nearly a year since I've come to Taiwan. It really flies by...



ITPS is sending three new teachers who will arrive in June. My three roomates are also making plans (some plans not set in stone, but highly probable) that they will be leaving around this summer as well, so things will be changing up around here. Whew...



Otherwise, my schedule is pretty well the same every day..get up, each lunch, go to work, eat dinner, hang out with Jimmy a few nights a week, and other nights hang out at home. Nothing really exciting. I've been sick with a bronchitis-ey sortish of a thing the past couple of weeks so I've been really run down. I miss American TV but found I could buy seasons of the Amazing Race and Survivor pretty cheap on iTunes so I've been coughing away in bed and watching my iPod.



Being sick in Taiwan is so strange. They treat the smallest cough or sniffle as if it was the most terrible of all Terrible diseases. If you have the slightest sniffle or smallest cough or *heaven forbid* a fever (even a really low one), you Must wear a Face Mask. You also must go to the Doctor, get loaded up on questionable medicines, some of which may or may not be antibiotics, you must not drink or eat anything cold, fried, dairy, or sweet. The Doctor will also make you inhale steam, no matter what your ailment is. It's very strange.



But, whatever the concoction of potions I got this time, it actually did the trick and I feel better. I'm not sure if they are antibiotics so I'm going to finish them all even though I'm getting better. Bah.



Today at school one of my co-teachers gave me a drink. It looks like this:

Anyway, it's a quiet and unassuming sort of a drink. But she tells me it's good for girl's skin, she says. Ok..that sounds nice. Then she says, yes in the olden days of Chinese yore, only queens and very rich women could afford this drink. Oh, and also, it's made from swallow spit. Yes..swallows like, the bird. And these dudes climb up to their nests and steal the nests so they can process their saliva and make this drink that's good for girl's skin. I'm doubtful if I will try it or not...everytime I look at the can all I can think is "swallow spit" and makes me want to gag. But it might be good. We'll see....

Also, note the back of my toothbrush packaging. If I'd been more careful when opening the toothbrush, there was even more wonderful advice on the back.

I'm so glad I found a toothbrush to clean all those tooth bacterium speckles and protect my tooth hair. It's quite a relief. ;) Really, though, this toothbrush came in a package attached to a large tube of toothpaste, and in a three pack for about 60 NT (about $2 US). Can't beat that with a stick. The toothpaste, of which I do not have a photo, is appropriately named "Guardian of Tooth" and promises to take care of my "oral teeth". I wonder what I'm supposed to use to take care of all my other sorts of teeth. You know, the non-oral ones.
I'm so tired, I'm becoming sarcastic. Funny though the English is sometimes, I think it's incredibly cute especially when coming from my students.
I'll leave on this note: I gave my students an assignment to write some sentences about their mothers for mother's day. They wrote great things like "Mom you are my honey" "Mom thank for take care me", etc. But my favorite of all:
"Mom, you are so beautiful because you always clean your face." Just like that. Good grammar and spelling and everything.
Oh yes, warms the heart. :)
Ok, Zai jian!

No comments:

Post a Comment