Sunday, March 21, 2010

Howdy all

Howdy! I suppose it's time to post a little note about what's going on in Sharon-World... haha..
Welll, to start with , beginning yesterday and I assume continuing into today (as I have not been outside yet today I cannot say this with certainty), Taichung has been covered in fine little dusties that got blown over from Beijing's sandstorm. Errggghhh. So annoying! I've been in Sneeze-Mode almost constantly since last night and my eyeballs are so itchy. I wore two face masks yesterday on my scooter. So annoying. But, at least it's not volcano ash like was going on in Kenai right before I left Alaska last year. Hehe, I suppose there's a bright side to everything...
The Bumblebees are plugging along and we're having loads of fun as well as moments of frustration for Tr. Sharon as certain students decide they are having SO much fun that they can disregard the classroom rules or not pay attention to lessons.
They have a favorite song now that we sang in our Let's Go class (the basic English curriculum we use): "Sue Doesn't Have Any Glue". We're learning .. I have, you have, they have....but, he HAS, she HAS....but, I don't have, you don't have, they don't have...but, he DOESN'T have, she DOESN'T have...good grief, why is English so hard? Why can't he/she don't have the same like I don't have? It would be way easier...anyway, my complaints about English aside, this song is so sad and depressing sounding on the Cd and the kids LOVE it. "Sue doesn't have any glue, Sue doesn't have any glue..Sue has some paper, Sue has some string, Sue has a bird and it's learning to sing...Sue has some ribbon, Sue has some chalk, Sue has a dog and it's learning to talk, but Sue isn't happy, no she's feeling blue..Sue doesn't have any glue..BOO HOO...Sue doesn't have any glue!" The kids really like the BOO HOO part.
So this is what's been in my head for about the past week. So the kids now understand that SUE doesn't have...but when it comes to any other he or she character, they still are writing "He don't have..." argghhhh.
We've also been drilling the adding the "s" on he/she verbs thing..again, I'm irritated with the English language. I go, he goes. I do, he does. I play, he plays. I study, he studies. It's hard for new English learners to get this down.
Let's see...what else has been going on around here... oh yes, I've started teaching one of Jacob's classes on Thursday nights..Teacher Jacob was our part time night teacher but he quit two weeks ago to stay home with his new baby girl while his wife went to work with Hess English school (I think I blogged about this a while ago). So instead of hiring a new teacher, although Jackson tried, nobody who applied really worked out for the position, so Jackson, me, Stephanie and Karen (the other two foreign teachers) are each taking a day of teaching for the week, so each of Jacob's classes have two teachers. Jackson and I took the Dragonfly class. I get the easy day, reading and phonics. It's only through the end of the semester, in June.
So the night before I have to teach this brand-new class, I have a dream. A terrible dream! And in this dream, all the Dragonflies (who I've never met) are grown-ups! And there are not 12 of them, oh no..there are 25 of them! And they will not listen to me and start throwing things. It was terrible. Now I knew in real life the Dragon flies are not grown ups and there really are only 12 of them in class. But I was still a little nervous after that dream. Augh.
So I get to class and they're all checking me out and nobody will say anything..and these are a brand-new English class, and some of the kids are teeny tiny! And Teacher Jacob was doing the reading/writing format different from all the other classes so I wasn't used to it. So I changed it back to the way every other class does it and all the Dragon flies worked really hard, but it was kind of stressful and challenging. We ended up with almost no time for phonics and had to rush through the workbook. Augh. I hope next week is better.
Well..I'm sneezing all over the place and I have to go find lunch before working time. So I know this was kind of a boring blog post, but at least it's a post! I put most of my pictures on Facebook now so if you want to see them you can find me on Facebook or leave me a message here and I'll add you.
Zai jian! Happy day to everybody! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sharon! I'm from Peru I was looking for that song you mention (so desperately, Omg, this is embarassing ^^). The thing is that I studied English at school with those books, from the "Let's Go" Edition. It's been 8 years since I left school, and it would be just amazing if I could get all that funny songs I sang once. Please, I hope you can help me with this. This is my email: fiorellaram@gmail.com Thanks anyways and good luck with your projects.
    Fio, from Lima, Peru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I've taught the Let's Go series from beginner to Level 5, so I'm familiar with most of the songs. They are pretty cute! I can't really email them all to you due to copyrights, however if you remember the title of a favorite one or two, perhaps I can send you the lyrics. The songs aren't available online because of copyrighting, I believe, so your best bet in getting all the songs is to buy the student books from the Let's Go curriculum and that will get you Cd's as well. Also because there have been a few new editions since you last used Let's Go, some of the songs may be new or different. Let me know if you have any more questions, and thanks for your comment! :) ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete