Monday, February 1, 2010

Hmm....Pregnant hamster or non-pregnant hamster, that is the question..

So...no hamster babies yet. Pudding is definetely fatter though, even than my last blog post. I hope she hasn't got some "hamster fatness" disease. The internets says pregnant hamsters will get noticeable nipples on their bellies and we have looked and looked and don't see any. But in all other respect she looks and acts very pregnant. So, we don't know.
Hm. I suppose time will tell.

In other news, Jimmy cooked me some traditional Chinese New Year "stuff" tonight. It was sweet. All this special food comes out into stores for Chinese New Year and all of it is packagd in red and gold (tradional Chinese New Year colors). He bought this "traditional cake", which when I asked him what it was made out of, he says "bread stuff". (your guess is as good as mine!) I should have taken a picture of it, rats. Anyway, it was dark orangey colored and very very heavy and dense and had a thick gelatin sort of consistency. He sliced it, then coated the slices with egg/flour mixture and fried it. It was a new sort of feeling in my mouth, not bad though. It tasted pretty good, like really sweet gummy stuff coated in fried egg, but it was so heavy and dense. It was my first taste of "Chinese New Year food". And if I plan to stay in Taiwan a while, I'm going to have to get used to this kind of food! :)
Taiwanese people, I've noticed, have a tendency toward more sweet tastes than salty. So I'm getting used to this becaus I really like salty food. They have funky desserts, like beans and ice cream (not even kidding - red beans are a big dessert item here), but the beans are sweet and not salty. Hm.
Haha, my funny for the week: oh, and the week just started, that's nice;
new vocabulary in class today, school rooms like "office" "library" "lunchroom", etc.
So I show the "office" flashcard and ask "what kinds of things can you find in an office?" so I get the normal answers like desk, telephone, books, papers, computer, etc. But one of my cutest but most troublesome students (who very often gets sent down to the office for disciplinary behaviour) raises his little hand and says very sadly "me". My co-teacher was trying so hard to stifle her laughing.

On that note I'm now very sleepy. Happy February to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment